The New York City subway system has long been an inspiring place for designers and artists, featuring a wide variety of public arts projects throughout the city. These geometric mittens were inspired by underground ironwork at 34th Street and 8th Avenue. With a traditional construction and a warm, dense fabric, they’re sure to keep your hands nice and warm this winter!
Fingering weight wool yarn in the following approximate amounts:
- 165 yards Background Color (BC)
- 70 yards Dominant Color (DC)
- 1 skein BC and 1 skein DC of Brooklyn Tweed Loft (100% American Targhee-Columbia Wool; 275 yards/50g)
- Photographed in colors Snowbound (BC) & Old World (DC)
Note: Yarn amounts listed are enough for two pairs of mittens, if colors are reversed for second pair.
- 36 stitches & 36 rounds = 4″ in stranded colorwork pattern with Size A needle; measurements taken from relaxed fabric after blocking
Size A needle:
- One set of 5 DPNs (or long circular, if using Magic Loop Method) in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested size: US 1 (2¼ mm)
- 8″ hand circumference, 9½” length (from cuff to fingertip); measurements taken from relaxed sample after blocking
- Average Adult Female