Sailor style refined for the modern man. Albion is a Guernsey pullover in Shelter, featuring bands of directional chevrons worked in purl stitches for a current and classic effect. Albion knits up quickly in the round from the ribbed hem and cuffs to underarm; the yoke and set-in sleeve caps are worked flat with garter stitch selvedges and seamed together. Choose a subdued neutral he can wear over brightly patterned shirts or go playful with a bold hue like Hayloft.
- 1290 (1400, 1560, 1700, 1900, 2040) yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- 10 (10, 12, 13, 14, 15) skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50g)
- Photographed in color Almanac
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 20½ stitches & 33 rows/rounds = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 20½ stitches & 37½ rows/rounds = 4″ in Front or Back Chart Pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric):
- One each 16″ and 32″ circular needles and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size B (for Ribbing):
- One each 16″ and 32″ circular needles and one set of DPNs*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On and Bind Off only):
- One each 16″ and 32″ circular needles and one set of DPNs*, one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 3¼ mm (US 3)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs and 16″ circular if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (i.e., Sleeves).
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 39 (43, 46¾, 50¾, 54¾, 58½)” circumference at chest
- Intended Ease: + 3–4″
- Sample shown is size 43″ with + 4″ ease on models
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On
- Sloped Bind Off
- 2×2 Tubular Bind Off