Meet Aldous, a study in brioche stitch that makes for a welcomingly warm and airy garment. Center panels of honeycomb brioche, flanked by brioche ribbing, is a feast for the hands — dare to resist embracing the fabric while it still grows on your needles! Tubular edges and twisted ribbing at the hems, combined with a folded-over neckband, only add to the cozy intricacies of this garment. Work Aldous in Shelter for the perfect marriage between lofty fiber and plush stitches.
This pullover is worked flat, in pieces, from the bottom up. After assembly, the collar is picked up and worked in the round, then folded and stitched to the inside of the garment.
- Photographed in colors Woodsmoke and Flannel
1460 (1695, 1945, 2150, 2445, 2645) yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- 18 stitches & 43 rows = 4″ in Brioche Rib and Honeycomb Brioche with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- Note that for Brioche Rib, each elongated stitch in a column of knit stitches represents two rows; when you count these it will appear that 21½ rows = 4”.
Note: Be sure to swatch both stitch patterns to ensure correct fit.
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32″ circular needle* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32″ circular needle* and one 16″ circular needle, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32″ circular needle*, two sizes smaller than size B
- Suggested Size: 3 mm (US 2½)
*Knitter’s preferred style of needle may be used.
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 38½ (42, 46½, 50, 54½, 58)” [98 (106.5, 118, 127, 138.5, 147.5) cm] circumference at chest
- Intended Ease: + 6–8″ [15–20.5 cm]
- Sample shown in size 42″ [106.5 cm] with 5″ [12.5 cm] ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 1×1 Tubular Cast On
- Chain Selvedge