This colorwork vest features an allover honeycomb pattern with bold vertical motifs placed at center front/back and sides; the low U-neck and hourglass shaping update this classic wardrobe staple. The vest is worked in the round and utilizes steeks at the armhole and neck openings. Upon completion of knitting, the steeks are cut; stitches are then picked up to work the bands. The ribbed trim (at armhole/neck opening and hem) is worked at a significantly denser gauge to create a firmer fabric and help maintain the shape of these areas.
Fingering-weight wool yarn in 2 colors:
- Background Color: Approx. 635 (675, 745, 815, 940, 1040, 1095) yards
- Dominant Color: Approx. 305 (325, 360, 390, 450, 500, 530) yards
Brooklyn Tweed Loft (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 275 yards/50g):
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- Working Gauge: 30 stitches & 28 rows = 4″ over charted swatch
- Finished Gauge: 28 stitches & 28 rows = 4” over charted swatch
See Swatching Supplement at the end of pattern for charted swatch & extended information regarding gauge.
- Finished Unstretched Gauge: 38 stitches & 25 rounds= 4″; measured over a 48-stitch swatch, completely relaxed after blocking
- Finished Stretched Gauge: 32 stitches & 28 rounds= 4″; measured over a 48-stitch swatch when moderately stretched and pinned, but not strained
- Colorwork Gauge Needle: One 24″ (or 32″) circular in size needed to obtain colorwork gauge listed. Suggested: US 4 (3½ mm)
- Ribbing Gauge Needle: One 16″ circular & one 24″ (or 32″) circular in size needed to obtain ribbing gauge listed. Suggested: US 1½ (2½ mm)
Note: Your Gauge Needle for both stitch patterns may differ. For best results, we recommend swatching both patterns.
- 34¼ (36½, 38¾, 41¼, 43½, 45¾, 48)” garment circumference at bust
- Suggested ease: +0-2”
- Photographed in size 36½” with +2” of ease on model