Ideal for twirling across the ice or keeping warm after ballet class, this delicate top of simple lace and cables on a ground of reverse stockinette is comfortable and feather light in Loft. The modern, short-sleeved dolman shape is easy to wear (and put on all by yourself) and a smart choice to knit for fast-sprouting youngsters. Choose a pale shade like Fossil, Woodsmoke, or Snowbound to layer Berenice over any outfit—or splash out with a favorite saturated hue. Full-grown girls will triple flip at the chance to scale up this top in Shelter.
While we mention that it is possible to upsize the pattern for adults by using Shelter, this pattern has been written exclusively for the children’s sizing specified.
Fingering weight wool yarn in the following approximate amounts:
- 550 (615, 700, 790, 890) yards
- 2 (3, 3, 3, 4) skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Loft (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 275 yards/50g)
- Photographed in color Fossil
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 24 stitches & 38 rows = 4″ in reverse stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 37 (37, 37, 51, 51) -stitch panel from Chart measures 5¾ (5¾, 5¾, 8, 8)” wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric):
- One 24″ circular needle in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
Size B (for Ribbing):
- One each 16″ and 24″ circular needles and one set of DPNs*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¼ mm (US 3)
Size C (for Tubular Bind Off only):
- One each 16″ and 24″ circular needles and one set of DPNs*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3 mm (US 2½)
*32” circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (i.e. Sleeve Edgings).
- 25½ (26¾, 28¼, 30¾, 33½)” circumference at chest
- Sized for 2 (4, 6, 8, 10) years
- Intended Ease: approximately + 2-4″
- Sample shown is size 6 (28¼”) on child who normally wears size 6
- Shown in second and third photos on child who normally wears size 8
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern
- Cast on of choice (for 2×2 ribbed fabric)
- Sloped Bind Off
- Bind Off of Choice
- Blocking (Suggested method: Wet-Blocking)
- Cable Cast On
- Tubular Bind Off
- Grafting (Kitchener Stitch)