Choose your own adventure to create a custom wardrobe staple. Cadence is knit in Shelter with options for a crew neck, V-neck, or turtleneck and for varying sleeve and torso lengths. The knitting is entirely circular. All versions sport single-ribbed edge treatments, a subtle textured pattern—worked from charted or written instructions—on the torso, and stockinette sleeves with a modified raglan shoulder for a comfortable fit. We’ve knit Cadence in three of our newest hues, but this design looks great in any color.
- Version I: 1080 (1195, 1325, 1440, 1595, 1725) yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- Version II: 1210 (1325, 1465, 1580, 1740, 1875) yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- Version III: 1005 (1110, 1235, 1345, 1490, 1610) yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- If you are making Version I or II with three-quarter length sleeves, you will require 45 (55, 60, 65, 65, 75) yards fewer
- If you are making Version III with long sleeves, you will require 45 (55, 60, 65, 65, 75) yards more
- If you are making the optional length adjustment you will require 65 (70, 75, 80, 90, 95) yards more.
- Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50g):
- Version I: 8 (9, 10, 11, 12, 13) skeins
- Version II: 9 (10, 11, 12, 13, 14) skeins
- Version III: 8 (8, 9, 10, 11, 12) skeins
- Photographed in colors Flannel (Version I: crewneck with long sleeves and optional length adjustment), Tallow (Version II: turtleneck with long sleeves), and Cinnabar (Version III: v-neck with three-quarter length sleeves)
- 18 stitches & 32 rows/rounds = 4″ in stockinette stitch or Texture Pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Note: Correct length of the one-piece yoke is dependent upon achieving the stated row/round gauge.
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One each 24″ and 32″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One each 16″, 24″ and 32″ circular needle and one set of DPNs*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of DPNs*, one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (i.e., Sleeves).
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 34¾ (38¼, 41¾, 45¼, 49, 52½)” circumference at bust
- Intended Ease: + 2–4″
- Version I is shown in size 38¼” with 3¼” ease on model
- Version II is shown in size 38¼” with 6¼”ease on model
- Version III is shown in size 34¾” with 2¾” ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Sloped Bind Off
- 1×1 Tubular Bind Off
- Kitchener Stitch (Grafting)