Tech meets tradition. Futuristic stranded colorwork distinguishes this pullover, knit in two colors of Loft. The pixelated motif of interlocking diamonds creates a gradient shift from dark to light, highlighting broad shoulders (and knitting skills.) Carbon is worked in the round with steeks at the armholes, and the folded contrast hem provides a canvas for an optional secret message: a charted alphabet and numerals are included in the pattern. The set-in sleeves are worked circularly to armholes, with flat caps that are sewn in once the steeks have been cut.
Fingering weight wool yarn in the following approximate amounts:
- 1435 (1590, 1770, 1905, 2060, 2210) yards Color 1 (C1)
- 305 (345, 380, 410, 440, 475) yards Color 2 (C2)
Brooklyn Tweed Loft (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 275 yards/50g):
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 23 stitches & 38 rounds = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 23 stitches & 34 rounds = 4″ in Carbon Chart pattern with Size B needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Stockinette Stitch Fabric):
- One each 16″, 24″, and 32″ or 40″ circular needles, and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3¼ mm (US 3)
Size B (for Colorwork Fabric):
- One each 24″ and 32″ or 40″ circular needles, two sizes larger than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Due to significant variance between knitters, your colorwork fabric should be swatched prior to knitting your sweater to determine whether or not this needle size should be larger, smaller or equal to Size A. Please read about Speed-Swatching for Circular Knitting (see Special Techniques).
Size C (for Facing and Ribbing):
- One each 16″ and 32″ or 40″ circular needles and one set of DPNs*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3 mm (US 2½)
Size D (optional; for Tubular Cast On only):
- One set of DPNs* one size smaller than Size C needle(s)
- Suggested Size: 2¾ mm (US 2)
Note: Use 32″ circular needles for Sizes 38½ and 42¾; use 40″ circular needles for Sizes 47, 51¼, 55¼, and 59½”.
*32″ or 40″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs and 16″ circular if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (i.e., Sleeves).
- 38½ (42¾, 47, 51¼, 55¼, 59½)” circumference at chest
- Intended Ease: + 3–5″
- Sample shown is size 42¾” with + 3¾” ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern
- Provisional Cast On
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On
- Color Dominance
- Speed-Swatching for Circular Knitting
- Backward Loop Cast On