A mossy evergreen forest rendered in textured stitches. Cascades is a classic pullover in Shelter with panels of tree motifs in twisted stitches against a ground of double moss stitch. Columns of tiny, mirrored cables define the shifts in stitch pattern to create flattering vertical lines and pleasing side details. The body and sleeves are worked circularly from the bottom up and joined at the yoke, which is worked in the round until the neck shaping. The twisted-rib cuffs and hem flow beautifully from a rib cabled cast on, a useful technique fully explained in the pattern. Cascades is worked from a combination of charted and written instructions. Knit it in a modern bright hue—our sample is in Hayloft—or go timeless with a pale neutral like Fossil or Snowbound.
- 1120 (1260, 1435, 1570, 1705, 1845) yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- 8 (9, 11, 12, 13, 14) skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50g)
- Photographed in Color Hayloft
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 20 stitches & 30 rounds = 4″ in Double Moss Stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 47-stitch panel from Cascades Chart measures 8¼” wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 7-stitch panel from Right-Leaning or Left-Leaning Side Chart measures 1¼” wide with Size A needles, after blocking
Note: Correct length of the one-piece yoke is dependent upon achieving the stated round gauge.
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One each 16″, 24″ and 32″ (or 40″) circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One each 16″, 24″ and 32″ (or 40″) circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 4mm (US 6)
*32″ (or 40″) circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (i.e., Sleeves).
- 33 (38, 41, 46, 49, 54)” circumference at bust
- Intended Ease: + 2-4″
- Sample shown is size 38″ with +4″ ease on models
Tutorial for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Rib Cabled Cast On