We love Carrie’s knack for creating chic, must-have accessories that have simple and intuitive construction. Her warm, cabled cowl is no exception. The piece utilizes the beautiful stitch definition achieved when holding a 2-ply fingering-weight yarn doubled. Knit simply, like a scarf, the cowl is joined into a loop during finishing by way of a 3-needle Bind Off. The cabled braid that adorns the cowl features an unexpected detail: the garter stitch ground overtakes the traveling stockinette stitches during cable crosses on the RS.
- Approximately 1050 yards of sport- or fingering-weight wool yarn, held double
- 18 stitches & 36 rows = 4″ in garter stitch with yarn held double on Size A needle; measurement taken from relaxed fabric after blocking
Size A needle:
- One pair or straights (or circulars) in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
- 10½” wide; 52″ long; measurements taken from relaxed fabric after blocking
- Average Adult Female
- Cowl begins with a Provisional Cast On and is worked flat, as for a scarf until it reaches sufficient length.
- After knitting, provisional stitches are seamed together with live stitches from last row, using a 3-Needle Bind Off.
- Instructions are provided in both written and charted formats.