Rhythmic all-over cables in Shelter produce a handsome, seaworthy cap that’s quick and satisfying to knit. After a short band of 1 x 1 rib, the hat breaks into a geometric motif of interlocking tiered cables. Perfect for knitters who have tried some basic cables and feel ready for more challenge, the charts are predictable and easy to memorize. The pattern includes a modification for a slightly shorter beanie length.
The sweater shown on the female model in these photos is our Vanora Pullover — click here to read more about this pattern.
Note: This pattern was originally released in April, 2015 with our BT Men Volume 2 collection. The pattern was updated to also include a shorter option, with less slouch, in our BT Ganseys Collection in March of 2016.
- 195 yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- 2 skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50g)
- Photographed in colors Artifact and Stormcloud
Please note: the stitch patterns in this hat are charted only.
- 26½ stitches & 30 rounds = 4″ in Crag Chart pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric):
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size B (for Ribbing):
- One 16″ circular needle*, three sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only):
- One 16″ circular needle*, two sizes smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 3¼ mm (US 3)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 21¾” circumference (to comfortably fit average adult head sizes 20-23″); 9¼” length
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern
- 1×1 Tubular Cast On