No nautically inspired collection could be complete without a garment in Fisherman’s Rib. This form of brioche stitch is simple to work and creates a spongy, warm fabric. Here it’s cleverly enlivened with a delicate lace motif for a subtle feminine quality that can dress up or dress down. Docklight is knit in the round to the underarms and then completed working flat with set-in sleeves for a tailored fit. Tubular cast-ons keep the hems and cuffs professional; if you want to substitute a different method, be sure to choose one that’s stretchy enough to match the fabric. The neckband is picked up after the pieces are seamed, worked to double length, then folded and stitched down inside.
The elasticity of the Fisherman’s Rib means you can knit Docklight four or five inches larger than your actual measurements to achieve a relaxed and comfortable sweater that still looks fitted enough to wear with skirts or wide-leg trousers.
Worsted weight wool yarn in the following approximate amounts:
- 1020 (1145, 1260, 1400, 1545, 1650) yards
- 8 (9, 9, 10, 11, 12) skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50g)
- Photographed in color Hayloft
Please note: the lace and tuck stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 17 stitches & 34 rows = 4″ in Single Shaker Rib with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 18 stitches & 34 rows = 4″ in Docklight Chart pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric and Ribbing):
- One each 16 and 32″ circular needles, and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)*, in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size B (for Tubular Cast On and Neckband):
- One each 16 and 32″ circular needles, and one set of DPNs*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size C (for Neckband):
- One 16″ circular needle, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (i.e. Sleeves).
- 35¼ (39, 42¾, 46½, 50½, 54¼)” circumference at bust
- Intended Ease: + 2–4″
- Sample shown is size 39″ with + 5″ ease on model