A simple silhouette — trim sleeves and gentle A-line waist shaping — serves as the ideal canvas for Fabiola’s beautifully tessellating, allover colorwork. An irresistible piece sure to hone your skills, Fabiola incorporates steeking at the armholes and neckline, a technique that ingeniously allows the mosaic motif to continue uninterrupted in the round, before the remainder of the garment is completed seamlessly. For your background colors, choose closely related shades of Loft for subtle glowing striations at the body, or bolder pairings for eye-catching, contrastive stripes.
The body of this pullover is worked circularly from the bottom up. Steeks are used to create the armhole openings, front neck, and back neck. The sleeves are picked up and worked circularly from the armhole to the wrist; the sleeve caps are shaped using Short Rows: Wrap & Turn Method. The colorwork motif is worked from charts only.
- Brooklyn Tweed Loft (100% American Targhee-Columbia Wool; 275 yards/50 grams)
- 5 (6, 7, 7, 8, 8) skeins of Main Color (MC); 2 skeins of Color 1 (C1); 2 skeins of Color 2 (C2)
- Sample I photographed in colors Pumpernickel (MC), Long Johns (C1), and Wool Socks (C2)
- Sample II photographed in colors Artifact (MC), Barn Owl (C1), and Faded Quilt (C2)
- 1370 (1545, 1710, 1870, 2035, 2200) yards MC; 325 (405, 440, 480, 520) yards C1; 325 (365, 405, 440, 480, 520) yards C2 of fingering weight wool yarn
Please note: the stitch patterns for this garment are charted only.
- 27 stitches & 40 rounds = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 32 stitches & 35 rounds = 4″ in Fabiola chart pattern with Size B needle(s), after blocking
Be sure to swatch both stitch patterns to ensure correct fit. We recommend Speed-Swatching for Circular Knitting.
Size A (for Single-Color Stockinette)
- One each 16″ and 32″ circular needles and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain stockinette stitch gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3.25 mm (US 3)
Size B (for Stranded Colorwork)
- One 32″ circular needle in size needed to obtain chart pattern gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3.5 mm (US 4)
Size C (for Ribbing)
- One each 16″ and 32″ circular needles and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 2.5 mm (US 1½)
*32” circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (e.g. Sleeves).
- 33¾ (37¾, 41¾, 45¾, 49¾, 53¾)” [85.5 (96, 106, 116, 126.5, 136.5) cm] circumference at bust
- Intended Ease: +4″ [10 cm]
- Sample I shown is size 37¾” [96 cm] with 5¾” [14.5 cm] ease on model
- Sample II shown is size 49¾” [126.5 cm] with 6¾” [5.25 cm] ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Speed-Swatching for Circular Knitting
- Color Dominance
- German Twisted Cast On
- Backward Loop Cast On
- Short Rows: Wrap & Turn Method (stockinette stitch)
- Joinery Bind Off
- Steam Blocking