This deeply textured beanie uses the same beaded cable found on the Far Hills Scarf, so you can knit a matched set. Here the cable is reinterpreted as chains of diminishing horseshoes that encircle the hat as they climb to the crown. A tubular cast-on yields a durable double-rib edge that’s elastic enough to fit most adult heads. The hat is worked from a large chart in two skeins of Shelter or one skein of Ranch 01.
Far Hills is also available as part of Jared Flood’s first print book, WOOLENS.
- 2 skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50 grams)
- Photographed in colors Foothills and Artifact
Ranch 01 Version:
- 1 skein of Brooklyn Tweed Ranch 01 (100% American Rambouillet wool; 220 yards/100 grams)
- Photographed in color Madder
- 190 yards of worsted weight wool yarn
Ranch 01 Version:
- 174 yards of worsted weight wool yarn
Please note: the stitch patterns in this accessory are charted only.
- 27 stitches & 30 rounds = 4″ in Far Hills Hat Chart pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- One 18-stitch motif from Chart (half of chart, measured at Rounds 1-14) measures approximately 2¾” wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 16″ circular needle, three sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size C (for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 16″ circular needle, one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 21¼” [54 cm] circumference (to comfortably fit average adult head sizes 20-24″ [51-61 cm]); 8¾” [22.5 cm] length
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On (Circular knitting; multiple of 4 stitches)