This pattern is written with optional brim shaping to lower the earflap and neck length for a warmer version. This shaping is done early in the pattern through the use of short rows. Follow the instructions for your chosen style during that section. The pattern is also shown with an accent color trim at base of brim (Soot version). If you wish to add this accent, you will need a few yards of yarn in an alternating color to begin your hat.
- Approximately 105 (115, 125) yards of worsted-weight wool
- A short length of yarn in accent color for cast on (optional)
- 1 (1, 1) skein of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100 % US Targhee-Columbia Wool; 140 yards/50g)
- Photographed in Soot (with Hayloft accent) & Embers
Please note: the cable pattern in this garment is charted only.
- 4.5 stitches & 4.5 ridges (9 rounds) = 1 inch in Garter Stitch, after blocking
- A 16” circular in size needed to obtain gauge listed above
- One set of DPNs in same size as circular
- Suggested needle size: US 8 (5 mm)
- 18½ (18½, 20)” circumference; 6¾ (7¼, 8)” deep, not including shaped earflap (adds 1″ to back); unstretched, after blocking
- Small (Medium, Large), each with optional earflap shaping
- To fit head sizes 19-20½ (21-23, 23½-25)”