Wrap up in a big luscious stole with an architectural motif of traveling ribs that gather and diverge. The deep texture adds cozy warmth as well as visual interest, and the charted motif is easily memorized after a few repetitions. Foundry is built with thoughtful details like slipped rib selvedges that keep the long sides straight and tidy, and buttons allow for converting the scarf to an oversized cowl.
- 1000 yards of DK weight yarn
- 7 skeins Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (100% US Targhee wool; 145 yards/50 grams)
- Sample photographed in color Black Fig
Please note: the stitch patterns in this accessory are charted only.
- 33 stitches & 33 rows = 4” in cable pattern from Foundry Chart with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32” circular needle* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32” circular needle*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 32” circular needle, one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On, due to variances in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
*Knitter’s preferred style of needle may be used
- 10½” (26.5 cm) wide; 68½” (174 cm) long
- Measurements taken from relaxed fabric after blocking
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:*
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On
- 2×2 Tubular Bind Off
- Kitchener Stitch (Grafting)