The eye-catching Scandinavian-style motifs of the Galloway Cardigan have been revisited in the Galloway Hat, knit in Peerie for colorwork that simply sings. Peerie’s worsted-spun construction results in boldly and brightly defined colorwork and a soft yet strong fabric that will wear well on many an adventure. Enjoy choosing your four-color palette unreservedly — the rounds of the chart only use two colors at once! And with two lengths, two brim styles, optional pom-poms, and 45 colors of Peerie at your fingertips, you can think up nearly limitless combinations for every member of the family.
Download a Galloway Hat coloring page and start exploring the possibilities of Peerie’s 45 colorway palette.
- Brooklyn Tweed Peerie (100% American Merino wool; 210 yards/50 grams)
- 1 skein of Main Color (MC); 1 skein of Color 1 (C1); 1 skein of Color 2 (C2); 1 skein of Color 3 (C3)
- The optional pom-pom requires approximately ½ skein of Peerie. Purchase an additional skein if you would like to use the MC as your pom-pom, or you can use the remainder of yarn from C1, C2, and/or C3!
Sample photographed in colors:
- Alizarin (MC), Muslin (C2), Mesa (C3) & Palazzo (C4)
- Burnished (MC), Seaglass (C1), Lovat (C2) & Humpback (C3)
- Norway (MC), Burnished (C1), Tincture (C2) & Hammock (C3)
- Fleet (MC), Seaglass (C1), Aurora (C2) & Treehouse (C3)
- Beanie version: 111 yards MC*; 28 yards C1; 28 yards C2; 49 yards C3 of fingering weight wool yarn
- Slouchy version: 125 yards MC*; 30 yards C1; 28 yards C2; 49 yards C3 of fingering weight wool yarn
- The optional pom-pom requires approximately 105 yards of fingering weight yarn.
*If working the Doubled Brim for either version add an extra 35 yards of MC.
Please note: the stitch patterns for this garment are charted only.
- 28 stitches & 28 rounds = 4″ in stranded stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 2.75 mm (US 2)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 16″ circular needle* one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 2.25 mm (US 1)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 16″ circular needle* one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 2 mm (US 0)
*32” circular needle can be used instead of 16” circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
Beanie (Slouchy) Hat
- 20½” [52 cm] circumference; 9 (9¾)” [23 (25) cm] length
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Speed Swatching for Circular Knitting
- Color Dominance
- 1×1 Tubular Cast On
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On