This versatile circular lace pattern can yield a warm and homey throw worked in Shelter, a pleasingly rustic shawl in Loft, or a gossamer web suited to formal occasions in Vale. Knit from the center outward in concentric rings of varied charted motifs, Girasole engages your mind and fingers at every spiral of knitting and produces a beautifully integrated whole. Keep it classic in a warm or cool white or work up the perfect bright accent in a floral hue.
- Laceweight Version: 1150 total yards of laceweight wool yarn
- Worsted Weight Version: 1675 total yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- Laceweight Version: 3 skeins Brooklyn Tweed Vale (100% American Rambouillet wool; 450 yards/50 grams)
- Worsted Weight Version: 12 skeins Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50g)
- Worsted Weight Version photographed in Shelter, Hayloft
- Laceweight Version photographed in Vale, Heron
Please note: the stitch patterns for this shawl are charted only.
- Laceweight Version: 24 stitches & 26 rounds = 4″ over lace pattern, after blocking
- Worsted Weight Version: 16 stitches & 18 rounds = 4″ over lace pattern, after blocking
Note: Finished gauge will vary once shawl is blocked into circular shape.
Listed gauges are a guide. Experience shows us that this pattern looks wonderful in a number of gauges and yarn weights. Experimentation is encouraged!
- One 32” circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain pattern gauge
- Laceweight Version suggested size: 4 mm (US 6)
- Worsted Weight suggested size: 5½ mm (US 9)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (e.g., the center of the shawl).
- Laceweight Version: 51″ [129.5 cm] diameter
- Worsted Weight Version: 72” [183 cm] diameter
Measurements taken from relaxed fabric after blocking
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Circular Cast On
- Backward Loop Cast On
- Crocheted Provisional Cast On
- Kitchener Stitch (Grafting)