These mittens have an intricate, twisted stitch motif that creates a beautiful relief pattern — inspired by vines and tree roots. Knitted stitches are all worked through the back loop to create the sculptural texture characteristic of twisted stitch motifs. Multiple-ply and high-twist yarns will maximize stitch definition and let the stitches sing. Shaping of the vine motif on the hand is done through the use of yarn overs and decreasing. Aside from the spiral cuffs, no cabling occurs in the main portion of the mitten. The cuff motif is mirrored on each hand and involves moving the marker as you work to preserve an unbroken spiral. I hope you enjoy knitting these as much as you will in wearing them!
- Approximately 200 yards of light-worsted weight yarn
- Photographed in Classic Elite Princess, #3425
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 25 stitches and 18 rounds = 3” following stitches 1-25 of Mitten Chart, blocked, unstretched
- One set of double pointed needles in size necessary to obtain gauge
- Suggested needle size: US 6 (4mm)
- 7” circumference at palm
- Average Adult Women’s