When Ann Budd told us she wanted to put a twist on the classic “Boyfriend Sweater”, we loved the idea. The unisex Guston pattern has been written with either male or female wearers in mind, including the smallest size which is appropriate for a 6-8 year old child. After choosing your size, be sure to work to the length measurements for either Men or Women (both are provided) for your own garment. This classic pullover, with its textured yoke and henley neck opening, will surely be passed around between family members anyway!
- Approximately 755 (970, 1155, 1325, 1500) yards of worsted weight wool yarn [ – (1065, 1250, 1435, 1625) yards for Men’s Version]
- 20 stitches & 32 rows/rounds = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needle; measurement taken from relaxed fabric after blocking
Size A needle:
- One 24″ or 32″ circular needle in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
- 28 (33½, 39¼, 44¾, 50½)” garment circumference at chest/bust
- Intended ease: +1-3″ for women, 2-4″ for men
- Sample shown in size 39¼” with ½” ease on model
Note: Smallest size is for a Child (6-8 years), with Unisex Adult sizing in parentheses after. Additional length is given in the pattern where the Men’s Body and Sleeve lengths will differ from the Women’s lengths. The lengths given for the Child’s size are unisex.
- Designed for casual wearability, this henley features Garter Stitch edgings and a textured yoke.
- The body is worked in the round to the front neck split, then in a single piece in rows to the armhole. The fronts and back are then worked separately with buttonholes, neck, and shoulder shaping worked along the way.
- The set-in sleeves are worked in rows. To finish, stitches are picked up around the neck opening and worked in Garter Stitch. Wooden buttons add a rustic look.
- When decreasing at the armhole edges or on sleeve cap, work decreases as SSK or p2tog at beginning of rows, and k2tog or SSP at end of rows, to keep decreases in knit or purl according to pattern.