This one-of-a-kind cap features exaggerated texture and playful use of negative space, with plump chains rising to the crown between ladders of easy lace. The knitting begins with a tubular cast-on and a band of single rib; chains are worked by dropping stitches and hooking them back up in clusters. Quick and so much fun to knit from a single skein of Quarry, Halus is an ideal last-minute gift—and you may find you can’t stop at one.
- 165 yards of chunky weight wool yarn
- 1 skein of Brooklyn Tweed Quarry (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 200 yards/100g)
- Photographed in colors Lazulite & Gypsum
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only
- 19 stitches & 24 rows = 4″ in unfinished Chain Pattern (before hooking up dropped stitches) with Size A needle(s), after light steam blocking
- 18 stitches & 24 rounds = 4″ in finished Chain Pattern (after hooking up dropped stitches) with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5½ mm (US 9)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 16″ circular needle*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 16″ circular needle*, two sizes smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 20″ circumference unstretched (to comfortably fit average adult head sizes 20–24″)
- 8¾” long
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 1×1 Tubular Cast On (Circular Knitting; even number of stitches)