This simple slouch cap of Loft is a study in tone and texture. Worked over gauge in twisted rib, Harper is stretchy enough to comfortably fit most adult heads. Subtle stripes create a woven effect of softly blended colors. Choose closely related shades, as shown, or go graphic with high contrast.
Fingering weight wool yarn in the following approximate amounts:
- 115 yards each of Color 1 (C1) and Color 2 (C2)
- 29 stitches & 32 rounds = 4″ in 1×1 Twisted Ribbing with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size B (for Band)
- One 16″ circular needle*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size C (for Tubular Cast On only)
- One set of DPNs*, three sizes smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 16½” circumference unstretched (to comfortably fit average adult head sizes 20–24″); 9¼” length
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern
- 1×1 Tubular Cast On