Greet the day with an urban edge in this unisex hat written for Arbor. Striated with contrasting scales of ribbing that march toward the crown, Hatch is accessible to bold beginners while also offering more experienced knitters an engaging rhythm. Whether knit to classic beanie length or worked with a longer brim and worn folded back watchcap style, Hatch’s motifs open up beautifully when stretched snugly over one’s head.
- 175 (225) yards of DK weight wool yarn
- 2 skeins Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (100% American Targhee wool; 145 yards/50g)
- Photographed in color Potion (Beanie) and Porter (Watchcap)
Please note, the pattern includes both charted and written instructions.
- 31 stitches & 35 rows = 4″ in 1×1 Ribbing with gauge needle
- Gauge above is taken from a relaxed 1×1 ribbed fabric (with no stretch) that has been wet-blocked
- One 16″ circular and one set of double-pointed needles* in size needed to obtain gauge listed.
- Suggested Size: 3¼ mm (US 3)
*A 32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
- Both sizes comfortably fit average adult head sizes 20–24″ [51–61 cm]
- Circumference: 18½” [47 cm] unstretched, for both versions
- Length: 8¼ (10¼)” [21 (26) cm]
Measurements taken from relaxed fabric after blocking
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern
- 1 x 1 Rib Cabled Cast On