Complete your alpine ensemble with the High Pines Cowl’s counterpart, the High Pines Hat. Branching half-twisted rib and shifting knit and purl texture take full advantage of Arbor’s springy construction, resulting in harmonic stitchwork resembling a jovial woodland scene. Precisely placed decreases help the motifs converge seamlessly at the crown — a star to adorn one’s head.
This hat is worked circularly from the bottom up. The textured motif is worked from charts only.
- 2 skeins Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (100% American Targhee wool; 145 yards/50 grams)
- Samples photographed in colors Alizarin, Tincture, and Dorado
- 275 yards of DK weight yarn
Please note: the stitch patterns in this accessory are charted only.
28 stitches & 36 rounds = 4″ in High Pines chart pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 16″ circular needle*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
*A 32” circular needle can be used instead of 16” circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
- 17¼” [44 cm] circumference; 7¾” [19.5 cm] length
Note: Hat is sized to fit adult head sizes ranging from 20-23” [51-58.5 cm] circumference. Stitch pattern used is extremely stretchy. Although the unstretched dimensions for finished circumference given appear small, the elasticity of finished fabric will fit head sizes listed above.
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Rib Cabled Cast On