A branching motif of half-twisted rib creates a striking hat that can be worn with either side out. Twisting the knit stitches throws them into sharp relief; on the verso their untwisted purl neighbors splay and lie flatter for a related but distinct look. Hirombe finishes with an elfin peak as the rib naturally draws in at the crown. The elasticity of the stitch pattern makes this hat stretchy enough to fit anyone.
- 160 yards of DK weight yarn
- 2 skeins Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (100% American Targhee wool; 145 yards/50 grams)
- Samples photographed in colors Butte and Loam
Please note: the stitch patterns in this accessory are charted only.
- 32 stitches & 34 rounds = 4” in Hirombe Chart pattern with Size A needle(s), unstretched after blocking
- One 24-stitch repeat from Hirombe Chart measures approximately 3” wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16” circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 16” circular needle, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
*32” circular needle can be used instead of 16” circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
- 15” (38 cm) circumference unstretched; 7½” (19 cm) length
Note: Hat is sized to fit adult head sizes ranging from 19-24” circumference. Stitch pattern used is extremely stretchy. Although the unstretched dimensions for finished circumference given below appear small, the elasticity of finished fabric will fit head sizes listed above.
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Rib Cabled Cast On