A hedge of cables rings this pert cap, then twines organically upward to the crown. Hutchin is worked in the round from a single skein of Loft, but the knitting will keep you on your toes as the cables weave and twist. A tubular cast-on and a band of ribbing make the hat stretchy enough to fit most adult heads.
Hutchin’s light fabric makes it a great cap to reach for in the transitional seasons when you need a little extra warmth. Try it in a soft gray or a warm brown as suits your complexion, match it to your eye color, or pay homage to the season with Loft in Embers, Hayloft, or Wool Socks.
Fingering weight wool yarn in the following approximate amounts:
- 245 yards of fingering weight wool yarn
- 1 skein of Brooklyn Tweed Loft (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 275 yards/50g)
- Photographed in colors Old World and Birdbook
Please note: the stitch patterns in this hat are charted only.
- 40 stitches & 36 rounds = 4″ in chart pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- One 24-stitch motif from Hutchin Chart (measured at Rounds 7–20) measures approximately 2½” wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric):
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size B (for Ribbing):
- One 16″ circular needle*, three sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¼ mm (US 3)
Size C (for Tubular Cast On only):
- One 16″ circular needle, one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 2¾ mm (US 2)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make amatching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. Please test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 20″ circumference (to comfortably fit average adult head sizes 20–23″); 8½” length
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern
- Blocking (Suggested method: Wet-Blocking)
- Tubular Cast On – circular knitting (for 2×2 ribbed fabric)