This hat design features Bavarian Twisted Stitch motifs (produced by knitting stitches through their back loops), which create a wonderful relief-like texture. The pattern is written for two versions: a fitted unisex beanie (shown in Barn Owl) or a stylish Tam version (shown in Truffle Hunt). Both versions use less than one skein of Loft, and make great gifts for those who love intricate patterning and texture. Follow the pattern for your chosen version, noting that both versions use the same Chart.
- Approximately 150 (270) yards of fingering weight wool yarn
- 1 (1) skein of Brooklyn Tweed Loft (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 275 yards/50g)
- Photographed in Barn Owl (Beanie) and Truffle Hunt (Tam)
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 24 stitches & 32 rows = 4″ in Stockinette; relaxed after blocking
- 32 stitches & 40 rows = 4″ in Twisted Stitch Cable pattern; relaxed after blocking
- One 16″ circular and one set of DPNs in size needed to obtain gauge
- Suggested Size: US 3 (3¼ mm)
- 16½ (24½)” unstretched circumference at widest point; 8 (9¼)” unstretched length from base of brim to top of crown (to fit average adult head sizes 20-24″)
- Note: All measurements taken on relaxed hat, after blocking; finished fabric is very stretchy and will fit over head sizes listed above