Brioche knitting gathers stitches into soft wales, warm and airy and perfect to wrap about your neck. This scarf tips the central panel on the bias between parallel tracks for a distinctive and modern look. Once you’ve established the increases and decreases, Junction is a meditative knit. The pattern contains a scarf with traditional dimensions and a slightly oversized version that makes more visual impact. Brioche fabric won’t reveal its qualities until you’ve knit a few inches — wait to assess the effects and check your gauge.
- 670 (900) yards of DK weight yarn
- 5 (7) skeins Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (100% American Targhee wool; 145 yards/50 grams)
- Samples photographed in colors Alizarin (Regular) & Driftwood (Large)
Please note: the stitch patterns in this accessory are charted only.
- 20 stitches & 56 rows = 4” in Brioche Stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- Note that for Brioche Stitch, each elongated stitch in a column of knit stitches represents two rows; when you count these it will appear that 28 rows = 4”
Size A (for Brioche Fabric)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32” circular needle*, in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size B (for Tubular Cast On; optional)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32” circular needle*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
*Knitter’s preferred style of needle may be used. If you are working a Tubular Bind Off, use circular needles so that you may slide the stitches from one end to the other.
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- Regular (Large) Scarf : 6½ (8)” / 16.5 (20.5) cm wide; 73½ (85)” / 186.5 (216) cm long Measurements taken from relaxed fabric after blocking
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 1×1 Tubular Cast On for Brioche
- 1×1 Tubular Bind Off
- Kitchener Stitch (Grafting)