This richly cabled scarf adds a contemporary twist to traditional aran knitting. After casting on along the long side of the rectangle, the scarf is worked horizontally, beginning and ending with a 3×3 ribbed band at the base and top of the scarf. Traditional cable motifs flow directly from the ribbing to create the main fabric of the scarf. Michele used Loft held double to create a light Aran-weight yarn (to keep the scarf from feeling too dense) and to enhance the stitch definition of the sculptural cabled fabric.
- Approximately 1375 yards of fingering-weight wool yarn, held double throughout
- 17 stitches & 24 rows = 4″ over 3×3 ribbing; measurement taken from relaxed fabric after being blocked with light stretch
- 26 stitches & 28 rows = 4″ over Cable Panel (charted), relaxed after blocking
- One 32″ or 40″ circular needle in size needed to obtain Ribbing Gauge listed; Suggested Size: US 7 (4½ mm)
- One 32″ or 40″ circular needle in size needed to obtain Cabled Gauge listed; Suggested Size: US 6 (4 mm)
- 72″ x 9″ rectangle; measurements taken from relaxed fabric after blocking