Pendant trios of bobbles framed in cable shields decorate this ornate hat. A ground of reverse stockinette throws the motifs into high relief and shows off Arbor’s capacity for rendering crisp stitchwork. Laurel is designed for a close fit; the elastic tubular cast-on and double-ribbed brim make it stretchy enough to fit most adult heads.
- 170 yards of DK weight yarn
- 2 skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (100% American Targhee Wool; 145 yards/50g)
- Sample shown in Driftwood
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 27½ stitches & 32 rounds = 4″ in Laurel Chart pattern with Size A needle(s), unstretched after blocking
- One 24-stitch repeat from chart measures approximately 3½” wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16” circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 16″ circular needle* two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size C (for optional Tubular Cast On only)
- One 16″ circular needle* one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
*32” circular needle can be used instead of 16” circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
- 18¼” [46.5 cm] circumference at brim; 21″ circumference at widest point
- 7¾” [19.5 cm] height
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On (Circular Knitting; multiple of 4 stitches)