Link is an apt name for this modern take on the classic cabled beanie, which features bold columns of paired rope cables interconnected by branching diagonal twists. Thoughtful details — seamless transitions from the brim ribbing to the cables, hidden crown decreases, and optional tubular edges — also combine for an overall polished effect. Choose between two brim styles and top off with a jaunty pom-pom, or leave unadorned to showcase the vanishing cable motifs.
- 2 (2) skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50 grams)
- Photographed in colors Pumice (Beanie) and Yellowstone (Watchcap)
- Beanie: 170 yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- Watchcap: 216 yards of worsted weight wool yarn (plus 40 yards for optional pom-pom)
Please note: the stitch patterns for this garment are charted only.
- 25 stitches & 30 rounds = 4″ in Link Chart pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- One 30-stitch motif from Link Chart measures 4½” wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4.5 mm (US 7)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 16″ circular needle*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3.75 mm (US 5)
Size C (for Tubular Cast On and Turning Rounds only)
- One 16″ circular needle*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3.5 mm (US 4)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
- 19¼” [49 cm] circumference (to comfortably fit average adult head sizes 20-23″ [51-58.5 cm])
- 8½ (9¾)” [21.5 (25) cm] length, (Watchcap length measured with brim folded up)
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On