“The Little Wave cardigan initially came about as a request from my almost teenage son. He was long overdue a piece of knitwear from his mother! He’s a stylish and classy dresser so I wanted to create a piece that could work with his wardrobe and yet also be something cozy to curl up in. This cardigan has some great classic elements including saddle shoulder shaping, shawl collar and a clearly defined stitch pattern. Faux elbow patches and pockets add a little extra something but can just as easily be omitted.
I fell head over heels with this when I finished it and realized it works just as well as a garment for women! The women’s version has a few tiny tweaks to make it just a little more flattering to the female figure.” – Gudrun Johnston
Read more about this pattern and the designer on our blog.
- (1090, 1250, 1450, 1600, 1800, 1950) [1150, 1300, 1520, 1700, 1880, 2050] yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- 20 stitches & 28 rows = 4″ in Little Wave Pattern with Size A needles, after blocking
- 19 stitches & 28 rows = 4″ in garter stitch for Side Panels with Size A needles, after blocking
- 19 stitches & 28 rows = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needles, after blocking
- 19 stitches & 37 rows = 4″ in garter stitch for Collar with Size A needles, after blocking
Note that the row gauge for garter stitch is much more dense when it is worked on its own
Size A (for Body, Sleeves, and Collar):
- One each 16″ and 40 circular needles and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs*) in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size B (for I-Cord Bind Off):
- One 40″ circular needle one size smaller than Size A needle(s)
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (i.e. Sleeves).
- (31¾, 36½, 41¼, 46, 51, 55¾) [31¾, 36½, 41¼, 46, 51, 55¾]” finished circumference at Bust/Chest (buttoned)
Note: Although the women’s and men’s finished chest measurements are the same the two versions differ in dimensions in other parts of the cardigan
- Intended Ease: + 1-4″
- Women’s Sample shown is size 36½” with + 2½” ease on model
- Men’s Sample shown is size 41¼”