Minimalist yet bold with symmetrically-aligned pops of color inspired by Swiss Design, Lucerne is an enjoyable and instructive guide for beginning adventures in colorwork. All stranded colorwork rounds are worked as 3-and-1 repeats — three stitches of one color, punctuated by one stitch in a contrast color. This consistent ratio aids in keeping even colorwork tension, with all floats being the same length throughout. The intuitive colorwork motif can be worked with as few as two colors or with as many as four. With Peerie’s extensive palette of painterly shades, opportunities for experimentation and colorplay abound!
Download a Lucerne hat coloring page and start exploring the possibilities of Peerie’s 45 colorway palette.
Lucerne Knitting Kits are available in six different combinations of two to four hues while supplies last!
Note: Pattern requires at least two colors and can optionally use up to four. C3 is for the three and four-color versions and C4 is for the four-color version.
Photographed in the following colorways:
- Sample I: Fleet (C1) & Admiral (C2)
- Sample II: Nocturne (C1), Morel (C2), Tincture (C3) & Marigolds (C4)
- Sample III: Norway (C1), Thaw (C2), Rainier (C3) & Mesa (C4)
- Sample IV: Burnished (C1), Parchment (C2) & Klimt (C3)
- Sample V: Cobbler (C1) & Cassis (C2)
- Sample VI: Porter (C1), Driftwood (C2) & Henge (C3)
Fingering weight wool yarn:
- Two-color version: 153 yards C1; 60 yards C2
- Three-color version: 157 yards C1, 23 yards C2; 23 yards C3
- Four-color version: 120 yard C1; 37 yards C2; 14 yards C3; 10 yards C4
Please note: the stitch patterns for this garment are charted only.
- 28 stitches & 32 rounds = 4″ in colorwork motif with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 16″ circular needle* three or four sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 2¾ mm (US 2)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 16″ circular needle* one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 2¼ mm (US 1)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16” circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
Note: The body of the hat is a combination of stranded (2-color) rounds and single-color rounds. Some knitters do not get the same stitch gauge on the same needle between their colorwork and single-color knitting. If this is the case, you may wish to switch to an alternate needle size on single-color rounds to maintain the 7 stitches per inch gauge required for the pattern. We recommend Speed-Swatching for Circular Knitting.
20½” [52 cm] circumference, 7¾ (8¼)” [19.75 (21) cm] length for short hat (long hat)
Note: Hat is sized to fit adult head sizes ranging from 20-23″ [51-58.5 cm] circumference with a short and long version. For large head sizes [23-25” (58.5-63.5 cm)] work the long version – the added length will provide more stretch and will fit a larger head size.
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Speed Swatching for Circular Knitting
- Color Dominance
- 1×1 Tubular Cast On
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On