The subtle simplicity of Maki calls for a closer look, which reveals that there is more to this design than meets the eye. The flattering A-line silhouette is accented by rows of welts on the back yoke for satisfying texture that also peeks out and around to the front of the shoulders, like angular epaulettes. The rolled neckline, garter stitch trims, and notched vents at the hems serve as balancing counterpoints that echo the framing of the back yoke. Wear Maki as a year-round layering piece with beguiling elegance.
This garment in Arbor begins with the front and back worked separately from the bottom up, then joined in the round with overlaps at each side to create vents. The body is then worked circularly to the armholes, then divided to work the front and the back separately to the shoulders. The sleeves begin much like the body, worked circularly from the bottom up to the cap shaping, which is worked flat in rows. The collar is picked up and worked circularly after the garment is seamed.
- 9 (10, 10, 11, 12, 13) skeins Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (100% American Targhee Wool; 145 yards/50 grams)
- Photographed in color Humpback
- 1190 (1325, 1445, 1585, 1725, 1870) total yards of DK weight wool yarn
- 21 stitches and 32 rows = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 21 stitches and 35 rows = 4″ in Double Garter Stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Note: Be sure to swatch both stitch patterns to ensure correct sizing.
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size B (for Collar)
- One 16″ circular needle, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (e.g., Sleeves).
- 35½ (39¼, 43, 46¾, 50¾, 54½)” [90 (99.5, 109, 118.5, 129, 138.5) cm] circumference at bust
- Intended Ease: +4–6″ [10–15cm]
- Sample shown is size 39¼” [99.5 cm] with 8¼” [21 cm] ease on model