Reach for the Marte Vest when in need of a light, functional layer that doesn’t sacrifice knitterly detail. Marte begins from the bottom up with generous two-by-two ribbing and stockinette that meld into interlinking cables mimicking chainmail, but rendered soft, airy, and lightweight in Loft. Each armhole is bordered by a two-stitch I-cord selvedge and a gently curving column of knit stitches meandering out of the cables, adding clean cohesion and interest for the knitter’s eye to appreciate. Marte then finishes off with double-thick mock-turtleneck ribbing, for a sophisticated, professional touch.
This vest is worked flat, in pieces, from the bottom up, then seamed together. The armhole edges are finished with an incorporated I-Cord selvedge. After assembly, the collar is picked up and worked in the round, then folded and stitched to the inside of the garment. The cabled motif is worked from charts only.
- Sample photographed in color Woodsmoke
1120 (1320, 1515, 1715, 1910) total yards of fingering weight wool yarn
Please note: the stitch patterns for this garment are charted only.
- 23 stitches & 35 rows = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 29 stitches & 37 rows = 4″ in Cable Chart pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One pair of straight needles or one 32″ circular needle* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One pair of straight needles or one 32″ circular needle* and one 16″ circular needle, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3.75 mm (US 5)
Size C (for Collar)
- One 16″ circular needle, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3.5 mm (US 4)
Size D (for Collar)
- One 16″ circular needle, three sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3.25 mm (US 3)
*Knitter’s preferred style of needle may be used.
- 34 (40, 46, 52, 58)” [86.5 (101.5, 117, 132, 147.5) cm] circumference at bust
- Intended Ease: +6–8″ [15–20.5 cm]
- Sample shown is size 40″ [101.5 cm] with 8” [20.5 cm] ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Purl Long-Tail Cast On
- Garter Stitch Selvedge
- I-Cord Selvedge
- Sloped Bind Off
- Invisible Weaving
- Steam Blocking