A simple and versatile marled cap in Shelter makes a quick gift knit or instantly adds a new dimension to your cold-weather wardrobe. This unisex hat can be worked to beanie length or extended as a watch cap — wear it with a folded brim or with slouchy insouciance as whim dictates. Mawson’s fabric of single rib begins with a 1×1 Ribbed Cable Cast On, which mimics the look of a tubular cast-on without the extra effort. Clever double decreases at the crown make the hat completely reversible.
Pattern includes both charted and written instructions.
- 140 (170) yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- 25 stitches & 34 rounds = 4″ in Ribbing with gauge needle(s), after blocking
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
- 19¼” [49cm] circumference to comfortably fit average adult head sizes 20-24″ [51-61cm]; 8 (9½)” [20.5 (24) cm] length
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern
- 1×1 Ribbed Cabled Cast On