“The Migration sweater is an ode to the sounds I hear standing on my porch drinking coffee early in the morning — sweet chirping from the small birds nesting nearby and the distant cries of those making the journey north.” – Stacey Gerbman
Gull stitch cables, welts, and ladders stamp this handsome unisex cardigan with bold textures. Set-in sleeves and strong vertical lines make for a flattering fit despite the oversized styling. (Although we used a female model in our photo shoot, this sweater fits several of the men in the BT office with less ease for a classic look.) The body is knit flat in a single piece; the sleeves are also knit flat and sewn in. Stitches for the button bands and collar are picked up after seaming and shaped with short rows to create a cozy shawl collar in double rib. Migration is perfect as outerwear in mild seasons or for warming up indoors when the house is chilly. Although it’s shown here in bright Hayloft, this design’s strong patterning would not be lost in dark shades like Soot, Artifact, or Pumpernickel.
- 1490 (1605, 1740, 2045, 2165, 2340) yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- 11 (12, 13, 15, 16, 17) skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50g)
- Photographed in color Hayloft
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 18 stitches & 30 rows = 4″ in Ladder Stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- One 16-stitch repeat from Cable Chart measures 3¼” wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- One 26-stitch panel from Cable Chart measures 5″ wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 32 rows = 4″ in Cable Chart, after blocking
- Note: When Ladder Stitch and charts are worked together across the piece, the Ladder Stitch row gauge conforms to the chart row gauge.
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 40″ circular needle in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 40″ circular needle, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
- 39½ (42, 44¼, 53, 55½, 59½)” [100.5 (106.5, 112.5, 134.5, 141, 151) cm] circumference at bust (buttoned)
- Intended Ease: + 5–9″ [12.5–23 cm]
- Sample shown is size 42″ [112.5 cm] with 9″ [28.5 cm] ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Sloped Bind Off
- Short Rows: Yarn Over Method
- Backward Loop Cast On