The double thickness of stranded Shelter makes this toasty neckwarmer proof against spring winds. Morse incorporates traditional Scandinavian motifs in shifting scales, and decreases placed on single-color rounds form a funnel shape for a cozy, anatomical fit. Our sample was knit in two colors for a simple graphic effect, but changing colors with each band could put your scraps to good use and create a nuanced or boldly playful accessory.
- 250 yards of Color 1 (C1) and 140 yards of Color 2 (C2) of worsted weight wool yarn
- Brooklyn Tweed *Shelter* (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50 grams)
- 2 skeins of Color 1 (C1) and 1 skein of Color2 (C2)
- Photographed in colors Woodsmoke (C1) and Cast Iron (C2)
- Note: Sample used almost all of one skein of C2. Due to variance in individual work, you may wish to purchase an extra skein in case you need it.
Please note, the stitch patterns in this cowl are charted only.
- 18 stitches & 21 rounds = 4″ in chart patterns with Size A/Size B needle, after blocking
Size A (for Single-Color Rounds of Stockinette Stitch)
- One 24″ circular needle in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size B (for Two-Color Rounds of Chart Patterns)
- One 24″ circular needle, one size larger than Size A
- Suggested Size: 5½ mm (US 9)
- Due to significant variance among knitters, your colorwork fabric should be swatched and wet-blocked prior to knitting your sweater to determine whether or not needle Size B should be larger, smaller or equal to Size A. Please read about Speed-Swatching for Circular Knitting (see Special Techniques).
Size C (for Ribbing)
- One 24″ circular needle, three sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size D (optional; for Tubular Cast On and Bind Off only)
- One 24″ circular needle, one size smaller than Size C
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
- Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 32″ [81.5 cm] circumference at bottom; 24″ [61 cm] circumference at top; 16″ [40.5 cm] length