This close-fitting beanie is distinguished by organic cabled forms that flow and interlock in unexpected ways. Ring motifs are created by abrupt increases and decreases. Worked at a snug gauge in Shelter, Naos makes a very warm and eye-catching winter accessory. The pattern is both charted and written, so you can follow the directions according to your preference.
- 140 (155) yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- 24 stitches & 32 rounds = 4″ in Cable pattern with Size A needle, after blocking
- One 41-stitch wide Cable panel from chart or written instructions measures approximately 6¾” wide with Size A needle, after blocking
- 20 stitches & 40 rounds = 4″ in 2×2 ribbing with Size B needle, slightly stretched after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain cable gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 16″ circular needle* in size needed to obtain ribbing gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 16″ circular needle* two sizes smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 2¾ mm (US 2)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular needles and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
20¾ (21½)” circumference at brim
20½” circumference at main section
8¼ (9)” height
Measurements taken from relaxed fabric after blocking.
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On (Circular Knitting; multiple of 4 stitches)