Ondulée is a relaxed dolman cardigan, knit from side to side with rows of knits and purls for a softly corrugated texture, which drapes fluidly in fine-gauge Peerie. The sideways construction makes Ondulée clever in its simplicity — flattering to wear and accessible to knitters of all experience levels. With careful assembly Ondulée is also reversible, defiantly blurring the lines between the right side and wrong side with its clean, exposed seams.
This garment in Peerie is worked flat in pieces from side to side. The right back is worked first from the center back to the end of the right sleeve; stitches are then picked up from the cast-on edge for the left back and sleeve. The fronts are worked separately and seamed to the back piece at the shoulder and underarm. Body ribbing and neckband are picked up and worked flat; cuffs are picked up and worked circularly after garment assembly.
- 8 (8, 8, 9, 9, 10) skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Peerie (100% American Merino wool; 210 yards/50 grams)
- Photographed in color Morel
1535 (1595, 1670, 1765, 1850, 1930) total yards of fingering weight wool yarn
- 22 stitches & 38 rows = 4″ in Ridge Stitch with Size A needle, after blocking
Note: Both stitch and row gauge are important; as the body is worked side-to-side, the number of rows worked determines the width of the piece.
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 24″ circular needle in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop Method for working small circumferences in the round (e.g., Cuffs).
- 34 (38, 42, 46, 49½, 54)” [86.5, (96.5, 106.5, 117, 125.5, 137) cm] circumference at hem
- Sized to fit approximately 30 (34, 38, 42, 46, 50)” [76 (86.5, 96.5, 106.5, 117, 127) cm] bust
- Sample shown is size 38″ [96.5 cm] on model with 32½” [82.5 cm] bust
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Sloped Bind Off