Prime is a textural riff on our favorite boxy pullovers. Welts on the lower torso are halved by a narrow vertical element, while the yoke is in clean stockinette fabric. Exaggerated drop shoulders and just a hint of A-line shaping through the torso finesse the roomy fit, and the light warmth of Loft makes this an easy piece to incorporate into your wardrobe. Double-deep single ribbing on the hem and bracelet-length cuffs further heightens the geometry, and transitions in fabric are subtly marked by a lateral braid. All pieces are knit flat and seamed, with the neckband worked in the round after assembly.
- 1705 (1890, 2155, 2385, 2690, 2935) total yards of fingering weight wool yarn
- 24 stitches & 40 rows = 4” in Welt Pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 24 stitches & 34 rows = 4” in stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One pair of straight needles or a 24” circular needle* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One pair of straight needles or a 24” circular needle and one 16” circular needle*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¼ mm (US 3)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One pair of straight needles or a 24” circular needle*, one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 3 mm (US 2½)
*Knitter’s preferred style of needle may be used.
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On, due to variances in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 36 (40, 44, 48, 52, 56)” [91.5 (101.5, 112, 122, 132, 142) cm] circumference at bust
- Intended Ease: + 6–8” [15–20.5cm]
- Sample shown is size 40” [101.5 cm] with 6” [15 cm] ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 1×1 Tubular Cast On (Flat Knitting; Odd number of stitches)
- Short Rows: Wrap & Turn Method
- Sloped Bind Off
- 1×1 Tubular Bind Off
- Kitchener Stitch (Grafting)