Knit a lace stole or a large cowl from the same pattern of diamonds and rhombuses in shifting textures – knit, purl, garter. Both versions of Prism are knit from end to end, and the motif is intuitive to work once established, with lace maneuvers on right-side rows only. Bands of garter stitch divide the cowl into panels, one of which conceals the graft where the ends meet. Vale’s palette offers both bright and nuanced hues to create a spectrum of Prisms that will suit any wardrobe.
- Stole (Cowl): 1150 (845) total yards of laceweight wool yarn
- 19 stitches & 35 rows = 4″ in Reversible Lace Chart pattern, after blocking
Note: Gauge for this project changes considerably after blocking; please block your swatch prior to measuring to ensure correct sizing.
- One pair of straight needles or a 32″ circular needle* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
*Knitter’s preferred style of needle may be used. If using a circular needle for the cowl, a spare needle will be required to hold the stitches for grafting.
- 19¼” [49 cm] wide; 72¾” [185 cm] long
- 19¼” [49 cm] height; 51¼” [130 cm] circumference
Measurements taken from relaxed fabric after blocking
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Provisional Cast On: Crochet Chain Method
- Garter Stitch Grafting