The Proof Hat is a traditional beanie with graphic modern texture. The tubular double-ribbed brim flows into a motif of crisscrossing forked ribs. Channels of cartridge rib add a second layer of deep texture to create a striking unisex cap. Pair this satisfying knit with the Proof Scarf for a matched set or work up a bevy of hats to try out all the shades of Arbor that speak to you.
- 175 total yards of DK weight wool yarn
- 2 skeins Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (100% American Targhee wool; 145 yards/50 grams)
- Photographed in color Heron
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 32 stitches & 32 rounds = 4″ in Proof Chart pattern with Size A needle(s), unstretched after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 16″ circular needle, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 16″ circular needle, one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On, due to variances in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
- 20″ [51 cm] circumference unstretched; 8½” [21.5 cm] length
- To fit average adult head sizes of 19–24″ circumference
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On (Circular Knitting; multiple of 4 stitches)