Forked ribs crisscross a fabric of variable-width columns punctuated by cartridge rib in this handsome unisex scarf. The cables distort the wider stockinette portions enough to create sinuous rivers beneath the geometric top layer. Worked from end to end with tubular edges and garter stitch selvedges, the Proof Scarf is six feet of gorgeous texture to double about your neck. Pair it with the matching Proof Hat for unbeatable winter style in your favorite color from the Arbor palette.
- 920 total yards of DK weight wool yarn
- 7 skeins Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (100% American Targhee wool; 145 yards/50 grams)
- Photographed in color Vintner
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 32 stitches & 32 rows = 4″ in cable pattern from Proof chart with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32″ circular needle* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32″ circular needle*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 32″ circular needle, one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On, due to variances in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
*Knitter’s preferred style of needle may be used
- 8½” [21.5 cm] wide; 76¼” [193.5 cm] long
- Measurements taken from relaxed fabric after blocking
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On (Flat Knitting; Multiple of 4 stitches)
- 2×2 Tubular Bind Off
- Kitchener Stitch