“During the design process, my aim was to create a timeless garment containing both traditional and modern features. I chose a diamond motif with moss stitch that I saw in a fisherman’s sweater because not only is it a beautifully textured stitch, but I can also use it either as a single line of diamonds (as in the sleeve) or a line of multiple diamonds (as in the body). Instead of having a traditional vertical line of purl stitches on either side, I used stockinette stitch to encircle the motif to keep the whole design clean and simple.
The sweater is knit top down. In order to create a height difference between the front and the back neck, wrap and turn short-row technique is used to raise the back and sleeves. The stitch increase for the yoke shaping is done in between the cable patterns.
The use of stitch markers is essential in this sweater. They will help you guide the positions of the stitch patterns and especially during yoke shaping. Once yoke shaping is done, the rest is straightforward. I hope this will be an enjoyable knit.“ – Kyoko Nakayoshi
Read more about this pattern and the designer on our blog.
- 950 (1005, 1100, 1250, 1385, 1510) yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- 7 (8, 8, 9, 10, 11) skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50g)
- Photographed in color Woodsmoke
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 18 stitches & 28 rounds = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 17-stitch panel from Sleeve Chart measures 3″ wide after blocking
- 39-stitch panel from Body Chart measures 6½” wide after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric):
- One each 16″ and 32″ circular needles and a set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size B (for Ribbing):
- One each 16″ and 32″ circular needles and a set of DPNs*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (i.e. Sleeves)
- 33½ (35¼, 38¾, 42¼, 46¾, 51¼)” circumference at bust
- Intended ease: + 2-3″
- Sample shown is size 35¼” with + 2¼” ease on model