This hat was conceived as the gentlest possible introduction to stranded colorwork. Only six rounds (eight rounds, if you choose the largest of the three sizes) require the use of two colors, and these rounds alternate colors on every stitch to take the guesswork out of tensioning correctly. The color combinations you can create from the Loft palette are practically endless: choose a light, a medium or bright, and a dark value and you’re off to the races. Further customize your Seeds by selecting your preferred ribbing pattern for a stretchy edging.
Seeds is also available as part of Jared Flood’s first print book, WOOLENS.
Fingering weight wool yarn in the following approximate amounts:
- 150 (165, 180) yards Color 1 (C1)
- 65 (70, 80) yards Color 2 (C2)
- 30 (35, 40) yards Color 3 (C3)
- A pom-pom will require approximately 65 yards extra.
Brooklyn Tweed Loft (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 275 yards/50g)
- 1 skein each of C1, C2 & C3
Photographed in the following colorways:
- 25 stitches & 35 rounds = 4” in Seeds Colorwork Chart pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 16″ circular needle, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¼ mm (US 3)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 16″ circular needle, one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 3 mm (US 2)
*32” circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the need size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
Small (Medium, Large) to fit teen & adult head circumferences 19-21 (20-22, 21-23)” [48.5-53.5 (51-56, 53.5-58.5) cm]
- 20¼ (21, 22)” [51.5 (53.5, 56) cm] circumference; 8 (8½, 9)” [20.5 (21.5, 23) cm] length
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Tubular Cast On for either 1×1 or 2×2 Ribbing (Circular knitting, multiple of 4 stitches)
- Speed-Swatching for Circular Knitting
- Color Dominance