This cabled interpretation of a watch cap is pure fun to knit and works up quickly in two skeins of Shelter. Above a ribbed brim, diamond knots filled with double seed stitch link elbows between simple cables that meet at the crown. A tubular cast-on produces a beautiful, durable, and elastic hem, and the pattern is stretchy enough to accommodate most adult heads. The cable motifs are worked entirely from charted instructions.
Skiff is totally unisex, so you can knit a boatload of these hats in different colors for the whole family. It also comes with the option to add a deep folded brim and a jaunty pompom to give the hat a whole new character. The extra height in the ribbed portion produces a youthful slouchy effect. Make a slouchy Skiff with no pompom if you prefer!
Worsted weight wool yarn in the following approximate amounts:
- Version I: 200 yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- Version II: 270 yards of worsted weight wool yarn (includes pom-pom)
- 2 skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50g)
- Photographed in colors Pumpernickel (Version I), Homemade Jam, and Thistle (Version II)
Please note: the stitch patterns in this hat are charted only.
- 26 stitches & 32 rounds = 4″ in Chart pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- One 21-stitch motif from Skiff Chart measures 3¼” wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric):
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size B (for Ribbing):
- One 16″ circular needle*, five sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¼ mm (US 3)
Version I only:
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only):
- One 16″ circular needle, one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 3 mm (US 2½)
Version II only:
Size D (for Lower Ribbing):
- One 16″ circular needle*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size E (for Tubular Cast On and Turning Round only):
- One 16″ circular needle, one size smaller than Size D
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
Both Versions: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. Please test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 19½” circumference (to comfortably fit average adult head sizes 20-23″); 8¼ (9¾)” length, with brim folded up (for Version II only)
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern
- Blocking (Suggested method: Wet-Blocking)
- Tubular Cast On (for 2×2 ribbed fabric)