This cabled hat is pure joy to knit and works up quickly in Shelter as either a fitted beanie or a double-brimmed watchcap. Above the ribbed brim, diamond knots filled with double seed stitch link elbows between simple cables that meet at the crown. Either hat is stretchy enough to accommodate most adult heads, so you can knit different colors for your dear ones. Add a jolly pompom for a youthful, slouchy effect.
- 2 (3) skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50g)
- Photographed in colors Pumpernickel & Long Johns (Beanie) and Homemade Jam, Thistle & Fossil (Watchcap)
- Beanie: 200 yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- Watchcap: 270 yards of worsted weight wool yarn (+150 yards for optional pom-pom)
Please note: the stitch patterns for this garment are charted only.
- 26 stitches & 32 rounds = 4″ in Chart pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- One 21-stitch motif from Skiff Chart measures 3¼” wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric):
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size B (for Ribbing):
- One 16″ circular needle*, five sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¼ mm (US 3)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only):
- One 16″ circular needle, one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 3 mm (US 2½)
Size D (for Lower Ribbing):
- One 16″ circular needle*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size E (for Tubular Cast On and Turning Round only):
- One 16″ circular needle, one size smaller than Size D
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
Both Versions: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. Please test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 19½” [49.5 cm] circumference (to comfortably fit average adult head sizes 20-23″ [51-58 cm]); 8¼ (9¾)” [21-25 cm] length, with brim folded up (for watchcap only)
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Tubular Cast On (for 2×2 ribbed fabric)