In celebration of the new Marls launch, the Skipp pattern is available as a free gift with the purchase of Loft Marls. Orders placed on our website will include a coupon to redeem the pattern within your package of yarn. The offer is also available with purchases made at local yarn stores carrying Brooklyn Tweed yarn. Valid thru April 30, 2019.
Meet Skipp, a classic yet versatile hat meant to be your constant companion on many an adventure, whether it’s out for a Sunday brunch or on a bicycle ride around the city. Worked in single-color Brioche, two-color Brioche, or a combination of the two, Skipp is boldly graphic while retaining a comforting texture, thanks to woolen-spun Loft. Precisely placed crown decreases that merge seamlessly with the ribbed fabric also make Skipp polished at any length, be it a close-fitting beanie, relaxed and slouchy, or doubled-over at the brim like a watchcap. Change the look of this hat by alternating stripes or blocks of colors with single-color or two-color brioche as you work — and enjoy knitting up a special one for every day of the week, every member of the family, or all of the above!
Brooklyn Tweed Loft (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 275 yards/50 grams)
- Single-color Brioche: 2 skeins
- Two-color Brioche: 1 skein each of MC and C1
- Single-color Brioche: 280 (305, 320) total yards of fingering weight wool yarn
- Two-color Brioche: 140 (153, 160) yards of MC and 140 (153, 160) yards of C1 of fingering weight wool yarn
Photographed in the following colorways:
- Sample I: Single-color Brioche Watchcap; Amaranth (MC)
- Sample II: Color-blocked Brioche Slouchy; Caraway (MC), Hayloft (C1), Woodsmoke (C2)
- Sample III: Two-color Brioche Watchcap; Old World (MC), Flannel (C1)
- Sample IV: Color-blocked Brioche Slouchy; Cast Iron (MC), Soot (C1)
- 20 stitches x 64 rounds (32 countable rounds) = 4″ in Brioche Stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
One 16” circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
Suggested Size: 3.5 mm (US 4)
Size B (for Brim)
One 16” circular needle*, two sizes smaller than Size A
Suggested Size: 2.75 mm (US 2)
*32” circular needle can be used instead of 16” circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
- 19¼” 49 cm circumference; 8 (9½, 10½)” 20 (24, 26.5) cm length
Note: Hat is sized to fit adult head sizes ranging from 20-23” 51-58.5 cm circumference. Stitch pattern used is extremely stretchy. Although the unstretched dimensions for finished circumference appear small, the elasticity of the finished fabric will fit the head sizes listed above.
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 1×1 Rib Cabled Cast On