With pleasing proportions and purposeful construction, Solenn is the quintessential basic, made better. Featuring all-around relaxed ease at the body, sleeves, and neckline, this piece encourages comfortable layering with fellow closet staples, while remaining trim at the hems with neatly-finished ribbing. Hybrid raglan and saddle shoulders fit elegantly and are intriguing to work, with shaping accomplished by fashioned double decreases for decorative yet professional effect. Overall stockinette keeps Solenn both cool and minimal, and able to showcase Loft’s humble texture — a true example of form meeting function.
This garment is worked flat, in pieces, from the bottom up, then sewn together. The collar is picked up and worked in the round after garment assembly.
- 7 (8, 9, 10, 11, 12) skeins Brooklyn Tweed Loft (100% American Targhee-Columbia Wool; 275 yards/50 grams)
- Sample photographed in color Soot
- 1795 (2025, 2345, 2630, 2985, 3270) yards of fingering weight yarn
- 26 stitches & 39 rows = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32″ circular needle* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32″ circular needle* and one 16″ circular needle, three sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 2¾ mm (US 2)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 32″ circular needle, one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 2¼ mm (US 1)
*Knitter’s preferred style of needle may be used.
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 38 (42, 46, 50, 54, 58)” [96.5 (106.5, 117, 127, 137, 147.5) cm]
- Intended Ease: +8″ [20.5 cm]
- Sample shown is size 42″ [106.5 cm] with 9″ [23 cm] ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On
- 2×2 Tubular Bind Off
- Kitchener Stitch (Grafting)