A bold Icelandic-style yoke printed with a spirograph of interlacing chevrons is striking on anybody. Spearheads knits up lightning fast in two high-contrast colors of Quarry to fend off the winter chill. We paired Gypsum with Lazulite and Hematite; imagine the yoke in Citrine on a background of Obsidian or marry Slate with Sandstone for a mellow contrast. Reversing the dark and light colors should be equally successful. Choose single or double rib for the hem, cuffs and neckband according to your liking.
Pattern includes sizing for both His and Hers.
Chunky weight wool yarn in the following approximate amounts:
- 915 (1025, 1200, 1285, 1440) yards Color 1 (C1)
- 105 (130, 135, 145, 155) yards Color 2 (C2)
- 1135 (1230, 1450, 1515, 1640) yards Color 1 (C1);
- 135, (150, 160, 170, 180) yards Color 2 (C2)
Brooklyn Tweed Quarry (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 200 yards/100 grams);
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 14 stitches & 21 rounds = 4” in single-color stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking.
- 14 stitches & 14 rounds = 4” in stranded colorwork pattern from Spearheads Yoke Chart with Size C needle(s), after blocking.
Size A (for Single-Color Stockinette Stitch)
- One each 32″ and 16″ long circular needles and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 6½ mm (US 10½)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One each 32″ and 16″ long circular needles and one set of DPNs* three sizes smaller than Size A needles
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size C (for Stranded Colorwork Pattern)
- One each 32″ and 16″ long circular needles* one size larger than Size A needles
- Suggested Size: 8 mm (US 11)
Size D (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of DPNs one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (e.g., Sleeves).
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 34¼ (38¾, 43½, 48, 52½)” / 87 (98.5, 110.5, 122, 133.5) cm circumference at bust
- Women’s Sample shown is size 38¾” [98.5 cm] with 4¾” [12 cm] ease on model
- 40 (44½, 49¼, 53¾, 58¼)” / 101.5 (113, 125, 136.5, 148) cm circumference at chest
- Men’s Sample shown is size 44½” [113 cm] with 1½” [4 cm] ease on model
- Intended Ease (for both Men and Women): + 4–5″ (10–12.5 cm)
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Speed Swatching for Circular Knitting
- Color Dominance
- 1×1 Tubular Cast On
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On
- Short Rows: Wrap & Turn Method
- Kitchener Stitch (Grafting)