“Jared always has something newly discovered to share whenever we get together — creative inspirations of all kinds, not limited to only knitting. Earlier this winter he showed me the most wonderful book on Blackwork Embroidery, which I had not been familiar with before. I was completely blown away by the striking effect of black thread against a quiet off-white background, particularly those designs featuring geometric motifs – like line art in cloth, music to my ears (and eyes). These images stayed at the forefront of my mind all winter. Though I may not pick up an embroidery hoop any time soon, this pullover is heavily inspired by the wonderful blackwork pieces in Jared’s book (I’ve since tracked down my own copy!). The colorwork sections would also work well as a multicolor motif, using 2-3 colors instead of simple black.” – Leila Raabe, designer
Fingering-weight wool yarn in 2 colors:
- Sweater Color (SC): Approx. 945 (1020, 1125, 1270, 1460, 1645) yards
- Contrasting Color (CC): Approx. 150 (165, 180, 205, 235, 265) yards
Brooklyn Tweed Loft (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 275 yards/50g):
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 26 stitches & 40 rounds = 4″ in single-color circular Stockinette Stitch with Gauge Needle, after blocking
- 26 stitches & 40 rounds = 4″ over Charted Colorwork Motif (in the round) with Colorwork Gauge Needle
- Gauge Needle: One 16″ & one 32″ circular, one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs) in size needed to obtain Stockinette Stitch Gauge listed (suggested: US 3/3¼ mm)
- Colorwork Gauge Needle: One 16″ & one 32″ circular, one set of DPNs in size necessary to obtain Colorwork Gauge listed (suggested: US 4/3½ mm)
- Ribbing Needle: One 32″ circular and one set of DPNs one size smaller than Gauge Needle for Ribbing (Suggested Size: US 2/2¾ mm)
Note: You may substitute a long circular for all given needle lengths if working the Magic Loop Method.
- 35 (37, 38¾, 42½, 47, 50¾)” garment circumference at bust Suggested Ease: +0-2”
- Sample shown is size 35” with +1” ease on model